Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What are your Blind Spots in your Christian walk?

Sometime a few years back some of my friends introduced me to the Johari Window. A Johari Window is a cognitive psychological tool created by Joseph Luft and Harry Ingham in 1955 in the United States, used to help people better understand their interpersonal communication and relationships. When performing the exercise, subjects are given a list of 56 adjectives and pick five or six that they feel describe their own personality. Peers of the subject are then given the same list, and each pick five or six adjectives that describe the subject. These adjectives are then mapped onto a grid.

BlindfoldedAuthor’s Note: I’ve noticed that my recent conversations with friends had something to do, to a certain extent, with being accountable – hence, this entry. It’s also a memo to myself.

Among the four quadrants, I was most concerned about my blind spots. These are traits I am unconscious of, yet seem to exhibit from another’s point of view. Left unaware, this hidden persona of mine could be disparaging to the relationships surrounding me.

“The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.” – Proverbs 12:15

I would often find myself dismissing symptoms of my self-hidden behavior as something “normal” and non-offensive, and even reason out to the point of resistance – justifying such manifestations. In frustration I often retort, “You don’t understand the whole story!”

Posted via email from h3sean's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment